How to Choose the Pet-Friendly Outdoor Furniture?
Mar 11,2023 | Orange Casual
Imagine you and your family are sipping on refreshing lemonade while lounging on your patio, when suddenly you hear the sound of your cat scratching up the side of your patio chair, or your puppy destroying your throw pillows. Having your furniture ruined by your beloved pets can be both stressful and expensive to replace. Instead of wasting money on new furniture and ineffective pet barrier sprays, it is best to invest in pet-friendly furniture from the start. Not only will this save you money, but it will also provide a relaxing outdoor experience for you and your furry friends. To help you select the best pet-friendly furniture for your patio, deck, or porch, here are several tips to consider.
Firstly, Let's talk about How to Keep Pets Off Patio Furniture
We all love our pets, but we’d rather not have them turning our expensive furniture into chew toys or scratch posts. Therefore, it is best to try to cat or dog proof outdoor furniture as much as possible. Try utilizing one or more of the listed methods below to keep pets off patio furniture:
1. Provide a comfortable alternative: One of the easiest ways to keep your pets off your patio furniture is to give them their own comfortable spot nearby. Consider purchasing a pet bed or outdoor rug specifically for your pet to lounge on.
2. Use scent deterrents: Pets dislike certain scents, such as citrus or bitter apple. Consider using a spray with these scents on your patio furniture to discourage your pets from getting too close.
3. Provide distractions: Provide your pets with toys or other distractions to keep them occupied while you're enjoying your patio furniture.
4. Use physical barriers: Consider using physical barriers such as fences, gates or pet gates to keep your pets away from your patio furniture. Be sure that if you’re using the barrier method that you make the playpen as comfortable and fun for your pet as possible. Your pet shouldn’t feel like they’re in time-out.
5. Training: It's important to train your pets to stay off of your patio furniture. This can be done through positive reinforcement training, such as giving them treats when they stay off the furniture or verbal commands when they try to jump on it.
6. Use furniture covers: For your more “high maintenance” pieces that you’d like to keep pet free, using furniture covers will ensure your pets won’t ruin your furniture. You can use covers that cover your furniture entirely, or fabric covers for individual cushions. Be sure to get fabric covers that can be easily cleaned and removed. Dog-proof patio furniture by placing synthetic fabric covers over your pillows and seat cushions and prevent your pup from tainting your exquisite items.
Secondly, Know the Key Features of Pet-Friendly Outdoor Furniture
Pet Friendly Furniture Material
When choosing pet-friendly furniture for your patio, it's important to select materials that can withstand your pets' playful behavior while also being easy to clean. Here are some pet-friendly furniture materials to consider:
Wicker furniture can be a great choice for pet owners looking for outdoor furniture that is both flexible and durable. Made from weather-resistant poly resin, wicker is able to withstand the elements and maintain its appearance over time. Additionally, the resin material used to make wicker is highly resistant to common pet issues such as scratching, shedding, and biting. This makes wicker a practical and stylish choice for those seeking pet-friendly furniture that can hold up to their furry friends' playful behavior.
2. Metals: Aluminum or Wrought Iron
Aluminum is a popular material for outdoor furniture due to its durability and resistance to the elements. It is lightweight, yet strong, scratch-resistant, and weather-resistant. As a result, aluminum is a great choice for pet-friendly furniture. It is both low-maintenance and relatively inexpensive, making it a practical option for pet owners who want furniture that can withstand their pets' activities without breaking the bank.
Like aluminum, iron is a durable material. Iron has the ability to absorb both heat and cold, which can deter your pets from even wanting to go near it. With its strong, sleek design, iron is a good option for pet patio furniture.
Although wood is able to be scratched or chewed at by your fur babies, it is a great option to consider if your cat or dog does not have a habit of scratching or chewing.
Pet Friendly Furniture Fabrics
When it comes to selecting pet-friendly furniture for your patio or outdoor living space, the type of fabric you choose is just as important as the material. Opt for fabrics that have patterns, are textured, or have darker colors. These types of fabrics will hide dirt and pet hair better until you are able to clean them. Here are a few pet-friendly fabric options to consider:
This high-performance fabric is resistant to stains, odors, and moisture, making it an excellent choice for pet owners. It is easy to clean and maintain, and it also resists bacteria growth.
This fabric is made from solution-dyed acrylic, which means it resists fading and is also water-resistant. Sunbrella is easy to clean and is ideal for outdoor spaces with pets.
Although not a fabric, leather is a pet-friendly material that is durable and easy to clean. It resists scratches and stains and can add a stylish touch to your outdoor space.
This synthetic fabric is resistant to stains and scratches, making it a great choice for pet owners. It is also easy to clean and maintain.
Thirdly, in addition to selecting Pet-Friendly Outdoor Furniture, you also need to:
1. Creating a Pet Friendly Space
- Protecting your plants and flowers
- Providing enough room for pets to roam free, if your space allows it
- Having pet friendly greenery; nothing poisonous
2. Have Durable Flooring
To prevent your pet from damaging your outdoor floors with their claws or dirty paws, it is important to choose durable flooring that is scratch-resistant and easy to clean. If your pet will be spending a lot of time outdoors, you may want to consider materials that won't chip or scratch easily. Additionally, select flooring that is low-maintenance and doesn't require a lot of time to clean.
Enjoying the outdoors with your furry companions can be a wonderful experience, but not so much when they damage your patio furniture. To avoid this, invest in pet-friendly furniture that is either resistant to pet damage or made of materials that are less appealing to pets as scratch or chew toys. By following the tips outlined above, you can create a welcoming and safe outdoor space for both you and your pets.